Sunday, June 19, 2011

St. George in January

January 27-30, 2011 Richard had a class to teach to a bunch of firemen down in Ivins, Utah. Since the classes were in the evening, he was free all day so I decided to go with him. We took our own car so I could have transportation for the 3-5 hours he was teaching. 
During the days we saw some of the sites in the area. One of the first places we went was to the Jacob Hamblin home. He had quite the estate. It's amazing what he was able to accomplish business wise with all the missions he went on to the Hopi and Navajo people.

There was lots of cool stuff in Jacob Hamblin's home. I've always had a love of saddles and this one is really nice and in great shape.
I thought this ceiling (which was also the floor of the loft) was very interesting in that the joists were not evenly placed. I wonder if there was a special reason for that or if they just didn't care or what.

We also went to the St George Tabernacle which is where James Cottam pumped the organ for the songs played during the 'Windows of Heaven' meeting.
There is a newer road in the area. It's called Snow Canyon Parkway and goes from Hwy 18 (better known as the road to Veyo) out to Ivins. Along the parkway there is a large round-about which has beautiful, life sized, bronze statues. I've always loved horses and this colt is beautiful.
 The Mustangs
Ed Hiavka, Sculptor
 I love this Indian Brave and his horse. Every detail of this piece depicts the strain of the chase.
 There is another round-about in Ivins. This just fascinated me how these big slabs of rock are held up by such a little one. It's more amazing in person.

While I was out on my own with the car, I visited the quilt shop Judy works at. Judy was on vacation somewhere but there is a lovely quilt she made up at Scrap Apple Quilts. She said it's the best shop in town. I went to a couple others and I have to agree.

I also had lunch with Joann. She's so hilarious and we had a great time as well as found a good Mexican diner.
 On our way home, we stopped at Cove Fort, just north of I-70. 

No comments: