Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Humanitarian Project

A couple weeks ago I was browsing around lds.org and came across the Humanitarian Center's 'current needs' link. Out of curiosity I clicked on it. The only need they have at the moment are 90"x90" quilts and I thought, I can do that.

After the earthquake in Haiti I texted my 10 bucks to my cell phone carrier and participated in the ward's quilt project. We got 3 quilts tied for the Humanitarian Center. Then after more earthquakes in Chile and tsunami's hitting islands, we donated a bit more money to relief efforts but I still had a nagging that I could do more... but what? When I clicked on that link that quilts were needed, I immediately thought of all the fabric I have. A lot of it I would never miss so I made a game plan and started cutting. A couple years ago I bought a bunch of little 8x8x8 open containers to organize my smaller fabric stash by color. Over the last two weeks I've gotten them out, one by one, and cut all the fabric to 10" and 6" sizes. The 10" sizes will take 100 squares to make a quilt, the 6" sizes 360. When I get the tops made, I'll figure out the backs. Anyone want to sew a top together?

1 comment:

Leslie Moseley said...

Just saw that a 6.9 earthquake in Tibet, China killed 400 this morning with over 85% of their buildings destroyed. I hope they allow outside help.