Monday, July 27, 2009

Try this Japanese restaurant!

Tonight we went out to dinner as an alternative to left-overs in the fridge. Dad came home later than usual so I didn't know when to expect him, was busy with other things and hadn't given dinner much thought. We kept talking about stuff we had going on and skirting around the problem until I said "how about sushi?" I'd been over to Jordan Landing on an errand and saw that a new restaurant had opened. Dad will jump at any chance to have sushi so off we went. Dad even let me drive!

Sakana Sushi Bar and Japanese Cuisine opened up a new location in the strip across from the Walmart. It's at the north end of the strip by PetSmart. They have the full menu on the website so you can browse at your leisure at http://www.sakanasushibar.com/ . The only change in the pricing they told us is that the Bento Box lunch special is $10.95 instead of the posted $8.95. Something quadrupled in price so they had to raise that a little. Dad had the Shrimp Tempura which came with rice and salad, miso soup and 2 California Rolls. I had the Salmon Teriyaki and Shrimp Tempura with rice and salad. Everything was SO tasty. I didn't think I'd eat much but I only left a little salad and most of the rice. I mean really, who's going to fill up on rice when you have salmon and shrimp?? I wish I'd taken pictures of the art that came posing as our entrees but didn't think about it. Dad had 6 large shrimp stood up like a teepee. I had 3 large shrimp with mine. The batter was lighter than most. I did get a picture of the California Rolls though. Aren't they delicious looking? They looked so tempting I wished they didn't have that dang seaweed in them.
The decor was modern with tables that at least looked like marble. I was too enchanted with the food to pay much attention to if it was real or fake. As you walk in there is the hostess desk with a screen behind it. The booths along two walls have an actual wall between each booth. I thought that was a very nice feature although the sitting space was a bit squishy for us. Throughout the middle there are tables and chairs in black but the walls are colorful. To the back is the Sushi Bar and there was a tv with a baseball game going. The website talks about making reservations but we just walked in and were the only people there besides a couple at the bar. We had great service. Those cute waitresses just doted on us making sure we had everything and refilling our water when it went down an inch. The hostess came by a couple times too, not always saying anything but making sure we were not neglected. I know this sounds like a lot of attention, and it was but these gals were there and gone. They didn't linger or interrupt our conversation. It was just a really nice meal with real good service. They are in the $12-$16 range for most things. I think I'll go again soon and try their steak!

1 comment:

Sonia said...

I love finding a good new restaurant. Take all that seafood out of the mix and it sounds great.