Thursday, May 29, 2008

Nicknames

Hillary wrote about this and I just had too much to say to put into a post on her blog. Hillary mentioned her nickname Roo and I'm sure all my kids have heard the story of how she got it but just in case there is a reader who doesn't... the first phrase Hillary ever said was 'I love you' but in her baby talk it sounded more like 'ats a roo' and that is where Roo came from. She had another nickname... I wonder if she remembers. It was Sis or Sissy. She got the nickname Sis after Sonia was born and she became a sister. My dad had used that term for one of my sisters and I liked it. Richard/dad and I both called Hillary Sis or Sissy until shortly after Roxanne was born. Then dad started calling Sonia 'Sis' and that pissed me off cuz she wasn't 'Sis' just cuz she was a sister. So I stopped calling Hillary those nicknames and it didn't take long before dad didn't use them any more either and that was the end of it.

Sonia was Soni or Soni-bo when she was little but as she got older she didn't like being associated with stereos and such so she ended that. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any other nicknames she had. Maybe she will fill us in.

Roxanne on the other hand had several. She was the only one who got the mother's list name and was called "Hillary-Sonia-Roxanne!" by me. Those shortened to Sa-Roxanne after awhile and eventually to Sox. There have been a few who tried calling her Roxi but she didn't really like that. What she hates most is those who try to sing her name. I'm sure I wouldn't have done that to her if I had known there was a song out there that would cause her grief all her life but it makes ya tough and at least she's not a boy named Sue.

James is mostly just James but he has had a few nicknames. When he was a baby I called him Jim-dear like the man in the movie Lady and the Tramp. Now I call him Sweetie but only when he's leaving for the day. The William's call him Jibby and the Nay's call him Jamison (but don't give their boys nicknames!). Dad gave him the name of Princess. I wonder what nickname he'll get at Basic.

Dad had the nickname of Toad when he was young and Russ and Roger still call him that sometimes. Most people call him Rich because dad doesn't like to be called Dick. There is another Dick in his new office so I don't know if people there will pick that up or stick with Richard or Rich to keep the two separate.

The nickname I had when I was real young was Les-los. I kind of gave myself one in high school because in Spanish class we could choose a Spanish name so I became Anita which is Spanish for my middle name Annette. I liked it quite well. Now I'm Bob thanks to my children... and Marc.

Let me know if I've forgotten something.

2 comments:

Sonia said...

I've actually had lots of nicknames, but most started outside the home. Moose, Sponge, Son-Ja, Spunja, Sunshine, Smiley, Lucky, just to name the ones I can think of. And that doesn't include the bad ones from me being a bully!

Marc Gingell said...

Don't forget we used to call James "Jammie-pies" too after he found that doll at the zoo! lol