Friday, August 14, 2009

Let's party some more!

I guess the family party wasn't enough... Sonia and James planned another dinner at Magic Wok for Tuesday night. We had a nice big table back by the kitchen which was a bit noisy but warmer than the front of the restaurant which was freezy! We have a tradition handed down to us from the Moseley grandparents... when you read your fortune out of the cookie, you add "in bed" to the end. That usually turns even the lamest of fortunes into funny ones. I think James has quite the Sly Stallone look going on here with the game peg in his eye. We always enjoy that little peg game where you try to get all but one peg off the game board.

The next evening James reported to the airport Radisson. The latest he was to check in was 1800 hours (6pm). Richard/Dad and I took James out to Sizzler first. Our original plan was to take him to Magic Wok or maybe the new Sakara restaurant but we'd all pretty well had our fill of oriental food. James had made sukiyaki style tofu for about a week and he had Magic Wok a few times too so steak was a nice change. James and dad both had steak and all you can eat shrimp with salad bars and strawberry lemonade. I had just the salad bar and then two skewers of broiled shrimp. It was very good, just enough and a nice change from the usual bacon wrapped steak & potato I usually succumb to.
We left the restaurant just after 5 and had plenty of time to arrive early at the Radisson. About two blocks away James remembered he needed shaving cream so I quick pulled into the Sutherlands parking lot and we headed for the Albertson's on 9th west. James ran in and back out so fast I would have wondered if he'd paid for his can of shaving cream if I hadn't seen the receipt in his hand too! We were back on the road and were still 20 minutes early. It was good timing too because 'Private Hemsley' was just finishing up his check-in. His folks were there and both James and Pvt. H. seemed glad to have a pal to go on this adventure with. Then it was hugs all around and a quick exit so dad could get back to his conference. I forgot to mention that... dad had a Haz-Mat conference all this week and had to sneak out to see James off. It was nice that dad had a couple hours at home so he and James went plinking out in the backyard with James' new airsoft rifle.

James called from the USO room in the St. Louis airport on Thursday and then again today from Fort Leonard Wood. He seemed excited that they will probably start training this next Tuesday. I'm glad he has a few days to acclimate to the wake up early and go to bed early gig before the real training starts.

1 comment:

Sonia said...

Is more good food ever a bad thing? I think not.