Sunday, December 21, 2008

Thanksgiving Birthdays

These last few months have been hectic. So what else is new, right? After all, it is the holidays. Along with our holidays, we have two birthdays in our family. We started out Thankgiving day with the usual festivities. Sonia sets a beautiful table with the set of china grandma gave her. While cleaning up, Leland kept the kids entertained by letting them pull him down the stairs. I think he is practicing for if Roxanne ever throws him down the 'stair' at their place! Hee hee

Next we moved on to Roxanne's birthday. With her birthday being the 25th of November, it has been celebrated on Thanksgiving day most of her life. Of course we make the standard jokes about the whole country celebrating her birthday. I usually have the kids choose what we are having for their birthday dinner. Since Roxanne always gets turkey, the thing she chooses is 'obscene amounts of stuffing!' Her siblings gave her a fabulous get-away weekend at Bear Lake which you can read about on their blogs. They had a great time and were all kinds of silly. I made her a jeans rag quilt and wrapped it around a picnic kit with everything you'd need for a picnic, such as the salt and pepper that Sami was just sure was a set of binoculars! Once she tried it, her sisters had to try looking through the salt and pepper too. It was pretty funny.

A scant 2-1/2 weeks later is Hillary's birthday. It's such a busy time of the year that I've thought about celebrating her birthday on Thanksgiving too but I never seem to think of it in time to warn the rest of the family or do anything about it myself. Maybe next year.

Of course the 'Gingell Girls' can be found wherever there are presents. They don't even seem to care who the present is for but just love to see what's inside. It's a magical time for them so whoever is having the birthday has at least one set of huge eyes twinkling close by. I found it very interesting that after making quilts for Sonia, James and Roxanne's birthdays, that Hillary was still surprised and exclaimed: "Oh, I get to keep it? It's not just wrapping?

1 comment:

Marc Gingell said...

Yah, so....I am a little slow :)